It’s been a busy few months – lots of traveling and learning the new job, and not much sewing at all. I even missed two months in a row of the Aviatrix class – in fact, I didn’t even touch the fabric until this weekend.
But, after almost a month straight of work travel, I finally got a whole weekend at home. Now, I was unpacked in my apartment fairly quickly, but if you’ve ever moved, you’ll know that there are always a few straggler boxes of miscellany that seem to find their way to a corner, and hide. For me, those boxes always seem to be craft-related, so they formed a little stack in the corner of my sewing room. I figured since I was resolved to spend the day yesterday catching up on my Aviatrix BOM, I might as well get the sewing room tidied up and organized first. Of course, since the logical approach was to remove the clutter, organize it, and return it to the craft room, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that I now have a beautifully organized sewing room, and a pile of boxes in the kitchen. Sigh… but I was really jonesing to sew, so the boxes are just going to have to stay there for a day or two. Maybe tripping over them will inspire me to finally deal with them for good. Or not.
In any case, I (finally) got my design wall mounted – it’s a gorgeous retractable job that disappears into a wooden floating shelf. It’s been a few years, but I’m pretty sure I got it here: Vanishing Design Wall. It’s a piece of cake to mount, and rolls up out of sight when I actually have company. It was a great investment, especially given the limitations of a combination guest room- sewing room.
So, after a morning of labor, I finally sat down at the sewing machine to make some magic happen! The first border of Aviatrix was a piece of cake, just a bunch of Half Square Triangles (HSTs), so that went quickly. the most time consuming part was figuring out how to make the color combinations look random. I followed the given instructions and have been pressing my seams open, but I’m not completely convinced that was the best decision. My stitch-length was fairly long, so unfortunately some of the threads are slightly visible from the front. The appearance doesn’t bother me, but I’m having second thoughts about the long-term stability of the seams. But, I didn’t notice it until I had the second border on, and I’m not taking it apart now. I’m just going to cross my fingers and hope the quilting on the final product will be enough to do the job.
The second border was also quite simple, just a matter of laying out the pieces in the correct order. It was all simple straight seams, no extra cutting or anything required. It took longer to lay out each color-sequence than to actually sew it all together. So now I’m ready to go!
I also got to make a quick stop by my local fabric store, Sew Memphis. My intention was just to pick up some thread to work on Aviatrix, but of course I couldn’t help myself, I had to pick up some fabric too. I absolutely fell in love with this Michael Miller fabric, Flutter from the Swirly Girls collection – it absolutely screamed to become a funky blouse! So I pulled out one of my favorite patterns, Simplicity 1364, a sixties-era reprint with only three main pattern pieces. Seriously, it went together so quickly that I’m wearing it to work on Monday, even with the blind-hemming of the bottom and sleeves. I absolutely love how it turned out! (Although I think the butterfly necklace is overkill, so that will be staying home, I just didn’t have time to take another picture!)
So all in all, a very productive weekend to end a long creative drought. Sounds familiar, I know. Like the song says, the more things change, the more things stay the same. Happy (almost) Monday!